Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Watching GSL wanted something to do while watching a pretty drawn out tvt, so I'm lying on my couch with my keyboard in my lap typing up a blog entry.
Decided I might make more regular blog posts again since I have a horrible memory and some day I may want to relive these days.

Weekends
Every weekend Chris, David, Eric (whoa abCDE) and I have game night. It started one Saturday after a UWB ultimate game because we wanted to play munchkin. With the exception of a couple weeks, we have done it ever since. First we played munchkin the card game, then Chris got Munchkin Quest, then for a few weeks we played a lot more video games than board games, then last week Eric got Settlers of Catan. We've also played various other games like Risk, Monopoly, etc. That reminds me we had a round robin Stratego tournament but Eric didn't come that week so we still need to finish that.
Sundays there's pickup Ultimate. March and April we didn't go that often because the weather hasn't been great, but now it's getting warmer so we will probably go more regularly.

Dungeons and Dragons
Three Fridays ago we started a new D&D campaign with someone Chris met at school and her boyfriend as the DM. The first week was alright, definitely not the same as with Davis, but interesting to see what it's like with a different DM. The next week I didn't go because I wanted to get laid instead, so the party played board games instead. Last week was canceled because the DM was busy with a heavy work load, he's some kind of freelance programmer or something like that Chris didn't know for sure.

Sounders
Huge fan of MLS right now. Sometimes it feels like I live just to see their next match. Next weekend is our first match against the new expansion team, the Portland Timbers, so everyone is looking forward to Saturday. Portland is looking decent so this will certainly be an intense Pacific Northwest rivalry.

League of Legends
I started playing LoL at the request of Chris and Sai, and since I don't get to hang out with Sai that much anymore, and Chris doesn't play SC, I obliged. It's pretty addicting and I gotta say it is more fun than SotIS, even if it is underdeveloped. The biggest issue I have with LoL... is the lack of community to play with, which is ironic because I started playing to play with Chris and Sai, and I haven't played with either of them much.

Starcraft II
Started playing SC2 a bit recently due to Keir being summer break and asking David to play, who in turn got me to play. Just finished "grinding" some achievements for playing against computers today, so now I have no excuse to not ladder. One thing that was nice about getting on SC again was the pms I got from the SotIS community asking me to come back. I'm not really interested in SotIS anymore since I don't get good enough fps to be willing to play competitively again, but it was nice finding out that the SotIS mumble server isn't as strict about being only for SotIS games anymore and now they have LoL channels as well. I'll probably hop on there from now on when I play SotIS, and maybe I can even convert some of the guys I used to play with.
Overall hoping to play more SC2 than LoL now preferably with David and Keir but perhaps 1v1s too in preparation for PAX (and to maintain my dignity by being able to beat Ashley.. who has over 1500 1v1 matches).

Korean
Chris, David and I are starting to learn Korean. Chris and I have said we would learn via independent study for a while and David is going to study abroad in Seoul, so him needing to learn gives Chris and I that motivation we have been needing.

Relationship
Ashley and I are still going strong. She's finally started to make good on her desires and start exercising regularly. It's been hard for her to find motivation since I keep telling her she looks great and doesn't need to, but it makes her happy so I guess I'm glad she's following through now. She's trying to get me to join a yoga class with her this summer, but so far I am in the "eff that" state of mind. Who knows though, I swore I would never take salsa lessons either and look how that turned out.

Actually doing something productive with my life
I know I need a job, I know I want a job, but idk why it's so hard for me to just go in and get an interview. I've been applying to every opening online, but really it's going to come down to when I decide to follow through and go in person to meet a manager. Somehow I need to gain confidence, but seeing as how I live in my mom's basement, I don't know where that is going to come from. Every time I watch a Sounders game they advertise volunteering through them, so maybe that would be a good stepping stone. Volunteering regularly.
As far as school goes, I've decided community college isn't the right route for me and eventually I'm going to go to a technical college. As of now though the plan is to 1. get a job 2. move out 3. go back to school so that I can do something that I enjoy and pays above minimum wage.

Question for Comments
Ashley is great. It does kinda bother me that I have only been with one person, but I definitely could see never being with anyone else. She keeps saying she wants to move on to another stage and get a place together, but at this stage in my life I would rather live with a couple friends than my girlfriend. What would my readers.. ok fine reader do in this situation?

2 comments:

David said...

If we did Alliance Battles, we could have ABCDE'S.

It's nice to know that you still like playing games of SC2 between bouts of Keir and I yelling at each other.

If you join a yoga class, you can get yoga pants! Mmmmmm.

Yeah internships(even unpaid)/volunteer stuff is good to pad your resume with from what I've heard.

Ashley doesn't read your blog? Oh well, an IMPORTANT PERSON DOES.

I'm planning to move out the summer between my undergrad degree and law school (2012) and while I know I'm perfectly comfortable living alone, it would also be cool to have other people in on it. You're on the short list of people I would consider going in on a place with. Who knows, maybe like you Chris, Eric, Sai, and myself (or some combination of that) could go in on a big enough house if we can find one cheap enough.

I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it though.

facquest- because this comment wasn't long enough already. Also it had quest in the title which reminded me of Guild Wars which reminded me YOU NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR SUPER AMAZING AWESOME ACHIEVEMENT OR SOMEWHAT RELATED INTEREST IN GUILD WARS 2.

Davos said...

Great to see a new post (I'm saying this unironically, too, which is terrible, I know).

Go for the Sounders thing. The worst thing that will happen is that you realize that you CAN go out and talk to someone about some kind of work. It'll make you way more confident too.

As far as jobs go, have you checked out Craigslist? There is a lot of shit on there but there is also actually some good stuff, even if you have to ream it out a little. I got called back on several job offers that I applied for through there, and didn't take them only because I wasn't going to be around during the year.

Also, as far as living with Ashley...that's a giant step. Getting woman all up in your house if serious business. Litmust test: if you have any serious doubts, don't do it (hint, hint).

:3